A commercial real estate agency wants to dominate the market and create a solid market share. Whilst this is a worthwhile goal, it is also a challenge to achieve. There are many variables that will have a direct impact on the performance of the agency.
Some of the most frustrating aspects of managing and running a commercial real estate agency today relate to the skills of the salespeople. Finding salespeople to work within the business is one thing; finding great salespeople is really hard.
Some salespeople will seek to improve their business performance and drive better market share. Over time their income and listing profile will rise. Finding the right salespeople with this mindset can always be a challenge; the top agents of the commercial real estate world are diligent and driven. They know how to drive market share. They are prepared to call landlords, tenants, property owners, and business proprietors.
Here are some tips to help you build your market share as an agency or as a salesperson.
- The traditional signboard placed on property listings for sale or for lease is perhaps one of the most important marketing tools that you can use. It is cheap and it is a very effective visual marketing tool seen by all of the property owners and business proprietors in the local area. Invariably, the top agents will have a strong signboard presence in the local area. As a priority, seek to get signboards on all of your listings as quickly as possible. When you place a signboard on a property, directly market their property into the local area personally. That means calling in on property owners and business proprietors to talk about the new listing. That simple activity will increase your market intelligence significantly.
- The best listings to work on are exclusive listings. So often I hear agents say that they cannot achieve or attract exclusive listings. Top agents convert exclusive listings more than open listings; they do this because they are good at pitching and presenting their services. They are also well known through the local area as experts at what they do. Exclusive listings give you control of your market and the client; in this way you can achieve a better result over time. If you cannot easily convert exclusive listings, look to improving your knowledge and relevance to the clients that you act for. Seek to specialise, as this will help you build your exclusive listing profile. Practice your skills in presentations and pitching.
- The Internet is well established as a critical component of commercial and retail property marketing. Most generic agents simply list a property and place it on the Internet hoping that the Internet profile and exposure will generate enquiry. There are many more things that you can do with the Internet to improve your listing performance, enquiry rate, and personal profile. Social media, article marketing, and blogging are very relevant and are highly effective tools when it comes to commercial real estate marketing.
- The database that an agent utilizes will be the foundation of future business. Each agent or salesperson should be working with at least 600 prospects in the local area. The only way you can manage and work with such a large number of prospects is through an effective and up to date database. Managing the database should be a personal strategy and process that you undertake at the end of each day. Don’t to delegate the process to some administrative person in your office; failure to take ownership of your database will destroy your market share.
- Cold call prospecting should be first on your agenda each working day. Contacting at least 20 to 25 new people at the start of every working day will help you improve market share radically and quickly. The other half of your prospecting process can be with people that you have made contact with previously. Balance your prospecting equally between new people and established prospects.
The secret to building market share as a good commercial real estate agent is in the systems and the consistency that you establish. Random actions produce random results. Develop your system including some of these critical items above.
If you want to get some more tips on how to find tenants to fill your vacancies in your properties, you can get them in our Newsletter.