In commercial and retail real estate agency today, there is generally an abundance of stock and not enough buyers or tenants. When it comes to presenting and listing your services to clients, you really do need to convey the correct terms and conditions of the market and the right solutions that will help the clients solve their property pain. Here are some tips from our Agents Newsletter.
Be a Relevant Agent
It really doesn’t matter how difficult the retail property market is, but it does matter how you approach the marketing, inspection, and negotiation process. These factors can be fed into your listing presentation so that the client understands your relevance as a top agent to help them through the difficult task of selling or leasing the property.
As part of your regular weekly team meetings, you should role play your listing presentation for the different property types over which you work. The prevailing market conditions and local area will also have some impact to your presentation.
What’s Your Listing Strategy?
Here is a strategy that you can merge into your presentation with property owners.
- From the outset, make sure that you are talking to the real decision makers when it comes to the particular listing. In some businesses, the decision makers can be hidden behind others.
- Check out all of the other competing properties in the local area. They will have some impact on your listing when it comes to marketing strategy, price, and or rental.
- Provide a method of sale or a method of lease that satisfies the current level of enquiry relative to the property type. This means that you should make particular recommendations to the clients that are clear and concise. Tell the client about the local levels of enquiry, and how you intend to refer that enquiry to the subject property.
- The best listing alternative today is an exclusive listing. It gives you control of the client, the listing, and the enquiry so that you can put together some reasonable momentum on the particular listed property. At the end of the day, the client simply wants the property to be sold or leased at a reasonable figure. The exclusive listing process can do this. Top agents will only list on an exclusive basis. Get away from open listings as soon as you can. In this market you simply have to control your stock and the exclusive listing process is the only way to do it.
- Give the client some alternatives of marketing that can be applied to the property listing. In most cases, three alternative marketing packages are recommended. The client will usually choose the one in the middle. Importantly, the marketing package should be designed to reach the target audience in a timely way to encourage inspections. If the property is of some quality, you will always get inspections and enquiries regardless of any market conditions. That being said, you should be satisfied that the rental or price that you are asking is in the realms of reality when it comes to the existing property market.
- In any role play situation for a property listing, you should be asking for the listing. The best time to close on the client is when you are in their presence and before they have had the opportunity to involve other agents in the property.
As logical as the role playing situations seems, many agents will avoid the process or overlook it. When you deliberately practice your listing presentation and pitch, you can improve your conversions of listings quickly and effectively. A quality listing that is a controlled listing will always bring you better enquiry. Over time at least 75% of your listings should be controlled.
You can get some more tips like this in our Real Estate Agents Newsletter.